Home » News » Public Safety
UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek
Police Lt. Mark Newport said police plan to issue more information about the case later today after an autopsy.
The woman's body was found just after 1 p.m. by a construction worker underneath the Sagamore Creek Bridge along Sagamore Avenue.
Newport said investigators aren't sure how long the body has been in the water.
Fire Capt. Todd Germain said the body was found about 15 feet from the shore. The body was recovered by a firefighter and the scene was turned over to police, Germain said.
The body was badly decomposed, making it difficult for authorities to determine the gender.
"It was there for quite some time," Germain said. State Police Lt. Chris Vetter said State Police are not involved in the investigation.
The discovery fueled speculation that the body could be Marriott's, but Newport insisted that it wasn't her.
Seth Mazzaglia, 31, is accused of murdering the 19-year-old Marriott on Oct. 9, 2012, and then dumping her body into the Piscataqua River from Peirce Island. The river and Sagamore Creek are linked.
Marriott's body has never been found.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem