Home » News » Public Safety
UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek
Police Lt. Mark Newport said police plan to issue more information about the case later today after an autopsy.
The woman's body was found just after 1 p.m. by a construction worker underneath the Sagamore Creek Bridge along Sagamore Avenue.
Newport said investigators aren't sure how long the body has been in the water.
Fire Capt. Todd Germain said the body was found about 15 feet from the shore. The body was recovered by a firefighter and the scene was turned over to police, Germain said.
The body was badly decomposed, making it difficult for authorities to determine the gender.
"It was there for quite some time," Germain said. State Police Lt. Chris Vetter said State Police are not involved in the investigation.
The discovery fueled speculation that the body could be Marriott's, but Newport insisted that it wasn't her.
Seth Mazzaglia, 31, is accused of murdering the 19-year-old Marriott on Oct. 9, 2012, and then dumping her body into the Piscataqua River from Peirce Island. The river and Sagamore Creek are linked.
Marriott's body has never been found.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 0
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
- Concrete chunk falls onto sidewalk from Elm Street building in Manchester - 0
- Traffic, parking complaints related to Hollis farm stand - 0
- Crews still working on replacing poles after accident - 0
- Woman, 56, struck by car in Laconia accident - 0
- Manchester police investigate two crashes involving two cruisers - 3
- Boy on scooter hits moving vehicle, taken to hospital - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Commodore Nutt takes D.C. by storm - 1
- School's out for voters - 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 11
- Senate battle attracts 17,000 TV ads in NH - 2
- Jonathan E. Benedict - 1
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 2
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Demaryius Thomas is x-factor for Broncos' offense - 1
- College Football: Big Green ready for tussle with Harvard - 0
- UNH Notebook: Albany is much improved - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer