Home » News » Public Safety
Newton boy badly hurt when struck by SUV while walking
Anthony Lebel is listed in serious condition in the intensive care unit at Boston Children’s Hospital, a hospital spokesman said Wednesday morning.
Anthony and his 8-year-old brother were returning after walking their friend’s dog home when the accident occurred just before 5 p.m., Streeter said.
Anthony, who was closest to the road, didn’t see the Jeep and was struck, Streeter said.
The driver, identified as Kevin Medeiros of Newton, stopped several feet away in the driveway of the boys’ home.
Medeiros, who lives at 43 Maple Ave., told police he didn’t see the boys, Streeter said.
Streeter said Anthony suffered what appeared to be a “significant laceration” to the back of his head and may have broken bones, Streeter said.
Pivero described Anthony as a “great kid.”
To reduce the risk of injury from passing motorists, Streeter urged pedestrians to walk against the flow of traffic so they can see vehicles coming toward them.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester police honor their own for dedicated service - 0
- Damage from water main break closes portion of Allds Street in Nashua - 0
- Former UNH police chief remembered as 'amazing leader' - 0
- Pinkerton warns community of person soliciting students - 0
- Oil tanker strikes Memorial Bridge early Friday - 1
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Water main break in downtown Nashua - 0
- Manchester fire heavily damages one apartment - 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Merrimack survives scare - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 7
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 1
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief