Home » News » Public Safety
Fundraiser tonight to benefit injured man
Meanwhile, Ornelas, 54, of Manchester is making progress in his recovery.
A friend who visited him at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston about 1 1/2 weeks ago said Ornelas was talking and upbeat. He no longer required a breathing tube, but still could not move from the neck down.
"I was very surprised at how cheerful he was. He was talking. Somebody brought him a steak tip dinner and he cut it up and ate it like the Wolfman. So he's doing pretty well," said the friend, who asked not to be identified.
On Nov. 27, MGH reported Ornelas' condition had been upgraded from fair to good. Ornelas will be transferred to Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in Boston as soon as a bed opens up for him. It was unclear Wednesday whether the transfer occurred.
What happened to Ornelas is the focus of a criminal investigation being done by the Hillsborough County Attorney's office and state Attorney General's office. Ornelas went to Elliot Hospital Oct. 15 because he went off his medications he takes for his mental illness, family said. On Oct. 16, he allegedly attacked a security guard. At least three security guards and a Manchester police officer subdued him. He was arrested and booked at Manchester police headquarters for simple assault, then transferred to Hillsborough County House of Corrections about midnight Oct. 17. About 9:30 a.m. that day, Ornelas came back to Elliot Hospital by ambulance with a broken neck.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Investigators release sketch of man who may have driven Abigail away - 1
- Supporters ask for patience in Abby Hernandez case while authorities sort it all out - 9
- Package found at Manchester federal building was harmless - 0
- Tractor-trailer carrying glass rolls over at I-93-Route 101 interchange in Manchester - 0
- Contact lost with Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people from Burkina Faso - 0
- New Ipswich man dies in motorcycle, truck collision - 0
- Two hurt in crash on Everett Turnpike involving tractor-trailer - 0
- Lightning likely cause of Manchester apartment building fire - 0
- Motorcyclist seriously injured in Jaffrey crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket