St. Mary's Bank's mural finds a new home at genealogy society
The work depicts Samuel de Champlain's contact with Native Americans and early settlers on the banks of the Merrimack River. Its text is French, reflecting the cultural heritage of the credit union's largely French-speaking West Side community.
St. Mary's Bank ended up donating the mural to the Manchester Historic Association, said Aurore Eaton, executive director of the historic association. But the historic association lacked a space to display the 18-foot-long, 5-foot-high mural.
The mural was designed by architect Sherman H. Jones in 1969 to decorate the lobby of the new St. Mary's Bank building. We do not know the name of the artist who actually fabricated the piece.
Eaton said the depictions are made of fiberglass, which is pushed out like a bas-relief sculpture. Sevard said a few maps of Quebec were removed to make way for the mural. It has become the focal point of the room that mostly contains books and computer databases, he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- After fire, eyes turn to NH youth center - 0
- WWII vets recall the invasion that turned the tide of history - 1
- Nashua Holocaust Memorial reflects years of devoted effort - 3
- Preservation Alliance announces annual awards - 0
- Ceremony honors Manchester's past - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester woman suffers injuries in dragging incident - 0
- Judge orders fired Manchester officer back to jail to finish sentence - 4
- Claremont police dispatcher charged with sex assault and incest, placed on leave - 0
- Speeding stop leads to drug and alcohol charges in Hollis - 0
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Youngsters eye NHMS - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 1
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release
Ayotte calls again for FCC reform