Home » News » Public Safety
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
County Commissioner Kevin Coyle said on Friday that the commissioners received a letter from Reams' attorney Michael Ramsdell warning them about the potential lawsuit.
Reams was suspended from his prosecutorial duties on the night of Nov. 6 just hours before state and federal prosecutors announced they were investigating operational and management issues within his office.
State prosecutors have refused to divulge the nature of the investigation. County commissioners barred Reams from county premises, and put his deputy county attorney Tom Reid, and a victim witness advocate on paid administrative leave at the request of Attorney General Joe Foster and U.S. Attorney John Kacavas.
Reams said in an interview with the New Hampshire Union Leader last week that he was asked to step down from his elected post, which he has held since 1998.
Current and past employees of Reams' office have been interviewed as part of the investigation.
Reams was expected in Merrimack County Superior Court on Thursday as part of a court action he filed challenging Foster's authority to temporarily remove him from office.
Ramsdell requested a 14-day extension for the hearing late last week.
The request was approved by a judge. It also allowed state prosecutors to file their response in the case just three days prior to the hearing.
"It's an assertion of power that's unprecedented in this state," Reams said in the interview.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Power restored to downtown Manchester - 0
- Driver identified in fatal Northumberland crash - 0
- Warning issued to teens taking the ‘Polar Plunge’ challenge - 1
- Rochester, Dover police to collect expired prescription drugs - 0
- Search for missing swimmer halted in Bristol, to continue Tuesday - 0
- UPDATED: State Police bomb squad called to Manchester West High for plastic bottles of solvent - 0
- Swanzey man pulled from fire in serious condition - 0
- Man dies in Northumberland crash - 0
- Power restored to Hooksett and Candia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Authorities detonate suspicious package left near Boston Marathon finish line on one-year anniversary of bombing - 0
- Flooding shuts down North Country highways - 0
- Officials say Northfield man presumed drowned after 'Polar Plunge' - 0
- Legislative committees move 4.2-cent-per-gallon gas tax increase closer to reality - 6
- Supreme Court: Liquor Commission, trial judge did not follow right-to-know law - 1
- AG agrees man who killed woman, 70, in Littleton hotel was insane at time - 1
- Police accuse man of trying to sell guitars, amps taken in Manchester burglary - 0
- Mother and child startled by late-night intruder in their Manchester living room - 0
- Hollis police use stun gun on man described as unruly - 1
Flooding shuts down North Country highways
Premium spike: Obamacare costs NH
Rep. Shea-Porter honored for efforts to aid in health care by National Association of Community Health Centers