Home » News » Public Safety
Mont Vernon picks Milford officer as next police chief
Milford Police Sgt. Kevin Furlong will become chief of the Mont Vernon Police Department on Dec. 16. Nancy Bean Foster
Detective Sgt. Kevin Furlong will take the helm of the Mont Vernon Police Department on Dec. 16, following a swearing-in ceremony at the weekly selectmen's meeting. Furlong was chosen out of a field of nearly 60 applicants, according to Jack Esposito, chairman of the board of selectmen.
"All three candidates gave very strong interviews and it was a very tough decision," he said, "but in the end we chose Kevin. We think he'll be a good fit for Mont Vernon."
In May, when Mont Vernon's former police chief Kyle Aspinwall retired from law enforcement, Furlong decided the timing was right to try and achieve his goal, and Mont Vernon seemed like the ideal place to start.
Furlong said he doesn't foresee any difficult challenges ahead in Mont Vernon because he's got a group of good officers and a well-established police department.
Esposito credited Aspinwall with creating the strong department Furlong will inherit, and said he believes Furlong will continue to carry the department forward in a positive way.
Furlong will earn around $67,000 as chief, Esposito said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Father of missing Conway teen says he wants custody of his daughter - 0
- Mass. man safe after crashing plane into Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Lebanon police lieutenant resigns during internal probe into faking of fitness test results - 0
- Hampton man still in critical condition from Rte. 125 crash - 0
- UPDATE: Pilot OK after Lake Winnipesaukee plane crash - 0
- Hampton man in critical condition after crash on Route 125 - 0
- Concord water main break diverts traffic - 0
- Claremont convent ravaged by fire to be razed - 0
- Hampton woman pulled from truck, in hospital after I-95 crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry councilors critical of town’s economic development website - 0
- Candia teen faces more counts in connection with burglary - 0
- Suspect arrested, loot recovered 10 minutes after Derry bank robbery - 0
- Ellsbury propels Yanks over Sox - 0
- Bruins shut out Wings - 0
- Phaneuf leads Derryfield laxers past Pelham - 0
- High School Volleyball results - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Teen recruited juvenile for burglaries - 0
- Cell phones, speakers stolen in separate incidents - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
Shaheen touts land conservation fund
High School Volleyball results
Bruins shut out Wings
Prepare to pay more to park in Manchester
Secret arrests? Not if we can help it
Latest Groton wind farm fight: Snow plowing