Home » News » Public Safety
Mont Vernon picks Milford officer as next police chief
Detective Sgt. Kevin Furlong will take the helm of the Mont Vernon Police Department on Dec. 16, following a swearing-in ceremony at the weekly selectmen's meeting. Furlong was chosen out of a field of nearly 60 applicants, according to Jack Esposito, chairman of the board of selectmen.
"All three candidates gave very strong interviews and it was a very tough decision," he said, "but in the end we chose Kevin. We think he'll be a good fit for Mont Vernon."
In May, when Mont Vernon's former police chief Kyle Aspinwall retired from law enforcement, Furlong decided the timing was right to try and achieve his goal, and Mont Vernon seemed like the ideal place to start.
Furlong said he doesn't foresee any difficult challenges ahead in Mont Vernon because he's got a group of good officers and a well-established police department.
Esposito credited Aspinwall with creating the strong department Furlong will inherit, and said he believes Furlong will continue to carry the department forward in a positive way.
Furlong will earn around $67,000 as chief, Esposito said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Nashua building - 0
- Pre-St. Pat's party at UMass turns violent, 43 arrested - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- Manchester’s Slebodnick stars in Cornell’s title win - 0
- NHIAA Girls’ Div. I final four offers intriguing matchups - 0
- Goffstown voters have lots to consider with schools - 0
- With snow budget depleted, Nashua dips into trust fund - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Police union contract a top concern for Bedford voters - 0
- Proposed school budget creates stir in Allenstown - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus