Home » News » Public Safety
Newington accident victim succumbs to her injuries
Ellen Busch, 75, passed away at 12:30 p.m. Sunday at Portsmouth Regional Hospital, where she had been transported after the accident.
According to Newington Police Lt. Scott Qualls, Busch had family in the area who were with her pretty much around the clock from the time of the accident until she passed away.
Qualls said Busch was in a crosswalk near the Old Navy and Ulta stores at the Crossings at Fox Run shopping mall Friday just after 7 p.m. when she was struck by a Dodge 1500 truck driven by Christopher Denen, 52, of York, Maine.
Denen called in the accident and was on scene when fire crews arrived two to three minutes later, but no other witnesses came forward at the scene.
Qualls said they are still looking for witnesses who may have seen the accident in the busy parking lot, which was full of holiday shoppers at the time.
Qualls said every time he goes into one of those parking lots, he is amazed at the number of people walking around and then how few witnesses there seem to be when something like this happens.
"At this point, we have not talked to any witnesses," Qualls said. He said two people have called in, but police are still waiting for them to come give statements in person.
"It's always important if someone was in the area because any minor details, someone who might think something as minute as just saying they saw a person or vehicle in a certain position at a certain time may be very important to our investigation," Qualls said. "We always consider everything helpful."
So far, no charges have been filed and the accident remains under investigation. Qualls said there was no real indication at the scene of alcohol or speed being involved, but nothing has been ruled out.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Investigators release sketch of man who may have driven Abigail away - 1
- Supporters ask for patience in Abby Hernandez case while authorities sort it all out - 9
- Package found at Manchester federal building was harmless - 0
- Tractor-trailer carrying glass rolls over at I-93-Route 101 interchange in Manchester - 0
- Contact lost with Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people from Burkina Faso - 0
- New Ipswich man dies in motorcycle, truck collision - 0
- Two hurt in crash on Everett Turnpike involving tractor-trailer - 0
- Lightning likely cause of Manchester apartment building fire - 0
- Motorcyclist seriously injured in Jaffrey crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket
Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health