Home » News » Public Safety
Newington accident victim succumbs to her injuries
Ellen Busch, 75, passed away at 12:30 p.m. Sunday at Portsmouth Regional Hospital, where she had been transported after the accident.
According to Newington Police Lt. Scott Qualls, Busch had family in the area who were with her pretty much around the clock from the time of the accident until she passed away.
Qualls said Busch was in a crosswalk near the Old Navy and Ulta stores at the Crossings at Fox Run shopping mall Friday just after 7 p.m. when she was struck by a Dodge 1500 truck driven by Christopher Denen, 52, of York, Maine.
Denen called in the accident and was on scene when fire crews arrived two to three minutes later, but no other witnesses came forward at the scene.
Qualls said they are still looking for witnesses who may have seen the accident in the busy parking lot, which was full of holiday shoppers at the time.
Qualls said every time he goes into one of those parking lots, he is amazed at the number of people walking around and then how few witnesses there seem to be when something like this happens.
"At this point, we have not talked to any witnesses," Qualls said. He said two people have called in, but police are still waiting for them to come give statements in person.
"It's always important if someone was in the area because any minor details, someone who might think something as minute as just saying they saw a person or vehicle in a certain position at a certain time may be very important to our investigation," Qualls said. "We always consider everything helpful."
So far, no charges have been filed and the accident remains under investigation. Qualls said there was no real indication at the scene of alcohol or speed being involved, but nothing has been ruled out.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 2
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
- Investigators release sketch of man who may have driven Abigail away - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- E-cigarettes find a market in NH - 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 1
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 2
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH