Young teacher puts education in motion
Londonderry High School student Sami Tocman loads her catapult with a tennis ball Monday afternoon as part of a project for her College Prep Physics class. (APRIL GUILMET)
With that in mind, the soon-to-be physics teacher changed gears as she prepared to teach 90 or so Londonderry High School seniors a thing or two about projectile motion.
The finished products were required to launch tennis balls toward targets between 2 and 6 meters.
"Which means that a traveling object is only influenced by gravity," he explained.
Seniors Summer Sanderson, Tia Andary, Stephanie Conti and Caroline Muse teamed up to create the catapult.
"We even watched a video of the Angry Birds characters meant to show us how to use different angles for shooting," Muse said.
"We recorded the project every step of the way," Andary said.
Reynolds said she decided to assign the catapult project because she realized some students learn differently than others.
While most of the catapults were fashioned from wood, the art of creative improvisation was certainly exercised.
"I've seen a lot of lacrosse sticks today," Reynolds said with a laugh. Another team incorporated a dog toy in their final catapult, she said.
Court said the team ended up using the data analysis program LoggerPro to assist them in the process.
When asked what she learned in the process of catapult building, Cintron didn't hesitate to reply: "I would have thought six meters was much farther."firstname.lastname@example.org
READER COMMENTS: 0
- State police targeting unsafe trucks, buses in 72-hour enforcement campaign - 0
- I-293 lane closures expected for next 2 weeks in Manchester - 0
- Another busy summer seen for I-93 construction - 2
- More in Keene paying for parking by cellphone - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dover man sought in Rochester shooting - 0
- Fed is in no rush to raise rates; S&P, Nasdaq end higher - 0
- Lawyer takes stand in his own defense at sex assault trial - 0
- Manchester-based refugee group says it's too early to expand to Seacoast - 0
- Supporters are now 'Abby Strong' - 0
- Trial involving former Derry town administrator delayed - 0
- Market Basket orders employees to return to work - 2
- PSU professor finds first mammoth tooth in NH - 0
- Derry woman arrested after police pursuit - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Derry woman arrested after police pursuit
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride