MCC students get hands-on experience building Manchester home
Duffley, who has known Fischer since the two were student teachers in 1982 at the Manchester School of Technology, told him he didn't. But he suggested MCC partner with him in building some homes on property he owns on Straw Road, not far from the Goffstown town line.
The homes are being built with the newest techniques in the industry. For instance, the foundation features insulated concrete forms with an R-50 insulation value. The house will include an air-exchange system, two full bathrooms on the second floor, a half-bath on the first floor and a finished basement plumbed for another bathroom.
"Last year, we did mock-ups inside in about a 6-by-6-foot room," said senior Andrew Dager, who is following in the footsteps of his father, a graduate of New Hampshire Vocational Technical College (now MCC). "This is much better. You get to build a house, and it's much more hands on. I've learned a lot more this year."
The students are building three energy-efficient houses in the first phase of the development. Ultimately, the development will be feature eight homes.
"Nothing can replace the type of experience this provides," he said. "It is terrific to be able to restart this valuable learning experience."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Teens well-PREP'ed in NH concerning pregnancy - 0
- Manchester school officials back proposed evaluation system - 1
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 5
- Pinkerton: 'No surprises' on first day with additional Hooksett students - 1
- Manchester Youth Leadership Academy will start Sept. 23 - 0
- New school year kicks off in style in Wilton/Lyndeborough - 0
- PSU recognizes 3 professors for their scholarship, service - 0
- Unity Elementary School off to late start - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Know the Law: Know your rights when dealing with debt collectors - 0
- Ask SCORE: Getting help with routine chores allows owners to focus on critical issues - 0
- Another View - Richard Ober: We have to act now to stop the decline in NH's future prospects - 0
- Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate - 0
- Firefly dress could set the world on fire - 0
- As school year starts, talk of new testing begins in Manchester - 0
- Wildcats focus on positives following opening loss - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Preview: Exeter, Pinkerton girls thinking big - 0
- Frank Jones' foray into ale-making in Portsmouth is a success - 0
Two killed in North Hampton plane crash
Sherborne takes Manchester city golf crown
DWI License Revocations