MCC students get hands-on experience building Manchester home
Duffley, who has known Fischer since the two were student teachers in 1982 at the Manchester School of Technology, told him he didn't. But he suggested MCC partner with him in building some homes on property he owns on Straw Road, not far from the Goffstown town line.
The homes are being built with the newest techniques in the industry. For instance, the foundation features insulated concrete forms with an R-50 insulation value. The house will include an air-exchange system, two full bathrooms on the second floor, a half-bath on the first floor and a finished basement plumbed for another bathroom.
"Last year, we did mock-ups inside in about a 6-by-6-foot room," said senior Andrew Dager, who is following in the footsteps of his father, a graduate of New Hampshire Vocational Technical College (now MCC). "This is much better. You get to build a house, and it's much more hands on. I've learned a lot more this year."
The students are building three energy-efficient houses in the first phase of the development. Ultimately, the development will be feature eight homes.
"Nothing can replace the type of experience this provides," he said. "It is terrific to be able to restart this valuable learning experience."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Three named to Manchester school posts - 0
- Derry Early Education Program to relocate - 0
- Manchester panel OKs new academic standards, despite Common Core criticism - 2
- Nashua school staff see tests as key to tracking student growth - 0
- Two Manchester schools off 'priority' list - 0
- Nashua officials seek advice on issue of student cellphone searches vs. privacy - 9
- Manchester school district makes bid to run Job Corps center - 2
- NEASC votes to reaccredit Central High - 1
- Londonderry school policy updates sought - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
Market Basket community waits and watches