Home » News » Public Safety
Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike
"His greatest passions were hockey, lacrosse and his truck," said John Moody, interim superintendent of the Hollis Brookline School District.
The pickup truck is believed to have slid on black ice, busting through a guardrail and rolling over several times before coming to rest on the Exit 1 ramp. Police said Ricard appears to have been killed instantly in the crash and alcohol wasn't a factor.
Moody said two former students had died earlier this year, and several staff members were also mourning the loss of family members.
"He was just a funny, fun-loving and loyal person who was also a great athlete," Barnes said Tuesday evening.
"These kids are just absolutely stunned right now," Barnes said. "This is someone they knew, that many were close to. This is someone they saw in the hallways each day and now he's not there."
The high school stayed open late Tuesday evening for those seeking counseling and on Wednesday, a planned early release day for a scheduled teachers' workshop, district officials are bringing in a crisis intervention team to offer additional assistance.Moody said he's visited three of the district's schools on Tuesday where he extended offers of services to those who'd previously worked with Ricard, who played lacrosse and hockey throughout his childhood in Hollis.
Moody said a possible school-wide memorial service for Ricard would be explored, pending the wishes of Ricard's family members.
Those who witnessed Monday night's fatal crash or have any additional information are encouraged to contact State Police Troop B at 666-3333.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 4
- One-alarm fire kept to chimney area of Bridgewater home - 0
- Nashua woman hurt in Pelham crash - 0
- Man hurt in fall from tree stand in Swanzey - 0
- Officials: Manchester's crime rate showing sizable decline - 0
- Spaulding Turnpike speed limit headed up from 55 to 65 - 0
- Chemical spill at Nashua North sends 6 to hospital - 0
- Enfield home destroyed by 3-alarm blaze - 0
- State: Range of staffing issues led to 'bad outcomes' at Lakeview NeuroRehabilitation - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester 7-Eleven robbed by man armed with knife - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 0
- Standing up for Salvation: Ringing the bell in the cold is a tough job - 0
- Man charged in Manchester stabbing - 1
- Hampstead home invasion suspect wants evidence tossed - 0
- Police say man swung ax at ex - 1
- Celtics dominate Orlando - 0
- Bruins hold on in Minnesota, beat Wild in OT - 0
- Andreoff hat trick paces Monarchs - 0
Police arrest pair after bullets fly
Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week
Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Power Plays: BANANAS and NH's energy needs
Police: Man endangered child after overdose