Home » News » Public Safety
Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike
"His greatest passions were hockey, lacrosse and his truck," said John Moody, interim superintendent of the Hollis Brookline School District.
The pickup truck is believed to have slid on black ice, busting through a guardrail and rolling over several times before coming to rest on the Exit 1 ramp. Police said Ricard appears to have been killed instantly in the crash and alcohol wasn't a factor.
Moody said two former students had died earlier this year, and several staff members were also mourning the loss of family members.
"He was just a funny, fun-loving and loyal person who was also a great athlete," Barnes said Tuesday evening.
"These kids are just absolutely stunned right now," Barnes said. "This is someone they knew, that many were close to. This is someone they saw in the hallways each day and now he's not there."
The high school stayed open late Tuesday evening for those seeking counseling and on Wednesday, a planned early release day for a scheduled teachers' workshop, district officials are bringing in a crisis intervention team to offer additional assistance.Moody said he's visited three of the district's schools on Tuesday where he extended offers of services to those who'd previously worked with Ricard, who played lacrosse and hockey throughout his childhood in Hollis.
Moody said a possible school-wide memorial service for Ricard would be explored, pending the wishes of Ricard's family members.
Those who witnessed Monday night's fatal crash or have any additional information are encouraged to contact State Police Troop B at 666-3333.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Motorcyclist suffers minor injuries in Saturday crash in Laconia - 0
- 18-year-old located with mother, brother on Mount Monadnock - 0
- Two killed in North Hampton plane crash - 0
- New fire training facility proposed in Nashua - 0
- 2 die in North Hampton plane crash - 0
- NH police on lookout for drunken drivers - 5
- Marine Patrol called to multiple crashes - 0
- Hiker rescued on Mount Monadnock - 0
- Laconia accident results in minor injuries for motorcyclist - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Know the Law: Know your rights when dealing with debt collectors - 0
- Ask SCORE: Getting help with routine chores allows owners to focus on critical issues - 0
- Another View - Richard Ober: We have to act now to stop the decline in NH's future prospects - 0
- Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate - 0
- Firefly dress could set the world on fire - 0
- As school year starts, talk of new testing begins in Manchester - 0
- Wildcats focus on positives following opening loss - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Preview: Exeter, Pinkerton girls thinking big - 0
- Frank Jones' foray into ale-making in Portsmouth is a success - 0
Two killed in North Hampton plane crash
DWI License Revocations
Sherborne takes Manchester city golf crown