Home » News » Public Safety
Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike
"His greatest passions were hockey, lacrosse and his truck," said John Moody, interim superintendent of the Hollis Brookline School District.
The pickup truck is believed to have slid on black ice, busting through a guardrail and rolling over several times before coming to rest on the Exit 1 ramp. Police said Ricard appears to have been killed instantly in the crash and alcohol wasn't a factor.
Moody said two former students had died earlier this year, and several staff members were also mourning the loss of family members.
"He was just a funny, fun-loving and loyal person who was also a great athlete," Barnes said Tuesday evening.
"These kids are just absolutely stunned right now," Barnes said. "This is someone they knew, that many were close to. This is someone they saw in the hallways each day and now he's not there."
The high school stayed open late Tuesday evening for those seeking counseling and on Wednesday, a planned early release day for a scheduled teachers' workshop, district officials are bringing in a crisis intervention team to offer additional assistance.Moody said he's visited three of the district's schools on Tuesday where he extended offers of services to those who'd previously worked with Ricard, who played lacrosse and hockey throughout his childhood in Hollis.
Moody said a possible school-wide memorial service for Ricard would be explored, pending the wishes of Ricard's family members.
Those who witnessed Monday night's fatal crash or have any additional information are encouraged to contact State Police Troop B at 666-3333.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 5
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you