Mar 12, 2014
Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Portsmouth man gets prison for sex assault of disabled woman
Paul Fierley, 51, was repeatedly called a predator at his sentencing hearing in Rockingham County Superior Court for targeting the woman who he knew did not have the mental capacity to give consent for sex.
About a month prior to the assaults, Fierley was convicted of simple assault for kissing another neighbor in the same apartment building, which largely houses elderly residents and adults with disabilities.
Public defender Deanna Campbell questioned how much of an impact the assaults had on her day-to-day life. She argued that Fierley, who she said suffered from depression, anxiety and alcohol issues, should serve a 3 ½ to 7 year prison term.
"One thing that seems clear to this court is that Mr. Fierley would have to be a mushroom living under a rock to think that (she) had a full understanding of what was going to happen to her," Wageling said.
Conway said that the woman could follow routines well, but did not known how to respond to novel situations.
"This is a very tragic case because this family really wanted to give their daughter independence because they realized that someday they are not going to be there," Conway said.
But Wageling added another decade onto the maximum term, so it would ensure that Fierley would be under added supervision once he is released from state prison. He will be required to register as a sex offender for life, and undergo a battery of counseling and education before his release.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Was a crime committed? Nashua police are not certain - 0
- Man arrested in Nashua market robbery - 0
- Fugitive of the week arrested in Maine - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- UPDATED: Rochester man shot multiple times as police attempted arrest - 0
- Bedford man sentenced for lobster trap thefts - 0
- Manchester police recover $2,000 worth of painkillers in drug arrest - 2
- UPDATE: Hudson police standoff ends; person in custody - 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- No dice: House kills casino gambling bill - 0
- Poetry Out Loud championship rescheduled due to storm - 0
- Portsmouth buildings evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 0
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 4
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal