Home » News » Public Safety
Firefighters from 10 towns fight Loudon 3-alarm blaze
This home on Loudon Ridge Road in Loudon was destroyed in a three-alarm fire Wednesday night. DAN SEUFERT/UNION LEADER CORRESPONDENT
LOUDON — For the second time in one day, firefighters were called for a three-alarm fire in town, with a home on Loudon Ridge Road burning to the ground late Wednesday night.
On Wednesday morning, a fire leveled a large garage at 602 Clough Hill Road.
Firefighters from 10 surrounding towns were called to fight the midnight fire, which left one man homeless. The homeowner says he likely won’t rebuild because the house was not insured.
Fire Chief Richard D. Wright stood with the occupant of the home and the homeowner at 352 Loudon Ridge Road Thursday morning. The three were exchanging thoughts on the burned-out home, Wright said.
Standing in a cold breeze along the roadside, a tired-looking but well-bundled Wright shook his head.
“It was the second one we had in one day, you know,” he said. “Both three alarms.”
When firefighters arrived Wednesday night, they found the two-story house with a 20- by 30-foot ell in flames, Wright said.
“There was heavy fire in the attic,” he said, “and the back ell had broken out in fire as well.”
Firefighting was difficult, as it was very cold and the nearest water source was miles away, but firefighters trucked the water in from a few area ponds, he said.
“One of the reasons we needed a third alarm was to get water here; there was no water source nearby,” Wright said.
The fire was doused, leaving charred remains of the first floor. Most fire crews left at 2:30 a.m., he said.
The fire’s cause is not of suspicious origin, he said. “It appears to be related to the wood stove,” Wright said.
The owner of the home, Howard Pearl, said the person living in the home was a friend, not a tenant. He is safe and will have a place to stay, Pearl said.
The home was old, he said.
“I think it was built in 1915,” he said. “It was an old house, it wasn’t in the best of shape.”
Pearl said he likely would not rebuild, as he did not have insurance on the home.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hampton Falls woman charged with striking Rye police officer with her car - 0
- Durham man dies after car door-bike collision - 0
- 73-year-old man drowns in Bow pool - 0
- Teen sustains minor injuries in ATV crash in Winchester - 0
- Laconia set to host annual Citizen Police Academy - 0
- Hanover water rescue boat a community effort - 0
- New Hampshire State Police Troop F remembers its six fallen troopers - 0
- Gilford selectman looks into lifting fireworks ban - 0
- Seabrook police to install cruiser cameras, seeking transparency - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Londonderry’s Moonlight Meadery halts Market Basket deliveries - 0
- GOP governor candidates Hemingway, Havenstein spar during morning radio debate - 0
- Nashua firefighters put out two fires; 14 people forced out in Palm Street blaze - 0
- Some sexual assault charges dismissed against Nashua caretaker - 0
- Nashua physician under investigation by Board of Medicine - 0
- Dover man indicted in sexual assault of young girl - 0
- Rochester man facing attempted murder charge - 0
- Second Manchester store pledges to stop selling spice - 0
- 2nd District GOP candidates spar at FPU debate - 0
ISIS beheads NH journalist
Market Basket: On the brink again
Hanover St. building has a buyer
Judge slams spice search
ISIS beheads NH journalist
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies