Home » News » Public Safety
Officials investigating fire at Berlin's Princess Theater
Firefighters battled conditions of minus 12 degrees and a wind chill factor of minus 35 for nearly seven hours beginning at 6:30 Friday. when the fire was reported, according to fire department Lt. Bill Maddalena.
Berlin was the lone department to respond, and firefighters left the scene at 2 a.m., according to Maddalena, who said a relief crew was called back to Green Square an hour later when police saw a "hot spot" in the building.
The Princess was long considered the sister theater to the 83-year-old Rialto in downtown Lancaster. Both were throwbacks to the golden days of Hollywood, but Rochester-based TBA Theatres closed them both three years ago. The Rialto, sold at bank auction, has since reopened, and appears to be thriving under new ownership.
In addition to the theater's historic and sentimental value, Maddalena said that if it has to be torn down, there'll be a gaping hole in the center of the city.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
- Barrington home destroyed in two-alarm blaze - 0
- Annual banquet on April 23 honors police, fire and EMS - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 0
- Roger Brown's Diamond Notes: Central the early surprise in baseball ranks - 0
- Death & justice: Officer Briggs is not forgotten - 0
- Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start - 0
- P-Bruins in fight to finish - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Dubois' homer lifts BG girls over Exeter - 0
- Sox rally in ninth to win - 0
- Fisher Cats' hitters can't solve Binghamton hurlers - 0
- Burglars take $210K in cash from safe in Salem home - 0
IT overload: Bureaucracy on bureaucracy
Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales
Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start
Manchester superintendent kills controversial redistricting plan following parental opposition