Home » News » Public Safety
Officials investigating fire at Berlin's Princess Theater
Firefighters battled conditions of minus 12 degrees and a wind chill factor of minus 35 for nearly seven hours beginning at 6:30 Friday. when the fire was reported, according to fire department Lt. Bill Maddalena.
Berlin was the lone department to respond, and firefighters left the scene at 2 a.m., according to Maddalena, who said a relief crew was called back to Green Square an hour later when police saw a "hot spot" in the building.
The Princess was long considered the sister theater to the 83-year-old Rialto in downtown Lancaster. Both were throwbacks to the golden days of Hollywood, but Rochester-based TBA Theatres closed them both three years ago. The Rialto, sold at bank auction, has since reopened, and appears to be thriving under new ownership.
In addition to the theater's historic and sentimental value, Maddalena said that if it has to be torn down, there'll be a gaping hole in the center of the city.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Nashua building - 0
- Pre-St. Pat's party at UMass turns violent, 43 arrested - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- Manchester’s Slebodnick stars in Cornell’s title win - 0
- NHIAA Girls’ Div. I final four offers intriguing matchups - 0
- Goffstown voters have lots to consider with schools - 0
- With snow budget depleted, Nashua dips into trust fund - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Police union contract a top concern for Bedford voters - 0
- Proposed school budget creates stir in Allenstown - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus
Dover man found not guilty of sex assault but convicted of drugging three women in Portsmouth