Home » News » Public Safety
Officials investigating fire at Berlin's Princess Theater
Firefighters battled conditions of minus 12 degrees and a wind chill factor of minus 35 for nearly seven hours beginning at 6:30 Friday. when the fire was reported, according to fire department Lt. Bill Maddalena.
Berlin was the lone department to respond, and firefighters left the scene at 2 a.m., according to Maddalena, who said a relief crew was called back to Green Square an hour later when police saw a "hot spot" in the building.
The Princess was long considered the sister theater to the 83-year-old Rialto in downtown Lancaster. Both were throwbacks to the golden days of Hollywood, but Rochester-based TBA Theatres closed them both three years ago. The Rialto, sold at bank auction, has since reopened, and appears to be thriving under new ownership.
In addition to the theater's historic and sentimental value, Maddalena said that if it has to be torn down, there'll be a gaping hole in the center of the city.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
- Wakefield woman dies in crash; Rye woman crashes into utility pole - 0
- Wakefield woman killed in Milton crash - 0
- Portsmouth police locate, arrest driver after accident - 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
- Plaistow police chief passes away after battle with cancer - 0
- Fire damages building at Jaffrey transfer station - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bonners host charity music festival in Portsmouth - 0
- He knows the Memorial Wall, name by name - 0
- NH to host New England governors, Eastern Canadian premiers in Mount Washington - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain