Keep it simple and be prepared for winter storm driving in NH
. Slow down:. That is the single most important piece of advice police and driving experts offer. It will keep you from skidding out, rolling over, sliding off the road and crashing. It can save your life.
. Equip your vehicle with good quality tires that are properly inflated: All-season and snow tires offer better traction. Studded tires and chains may be useful for those who travel in extremely harsh conditions. While these tires will improve traction, no tire will allow you to drive at normal speeds in snow or ice.
. Reduce the distance between you the vehicle ahead of you: Find a fixed object on the road, such as a bridge, overpass, sign. When the vehicle ahead of you passes that object, start counting the seconds it takes for you to reach the same object. Under normal driving conditions, a 3-second rule is recommended to give you time to stop. In bad road conditions, a 6-second rule is advised.
. Keep at least a half tank of fuel in your vehicle: Take extra precautions on bridges and overpasses which freeze first and at dawn and dusk when black ice is most prevalent.
. Clear all snow and ice from windshield, windows and roof: Failure to do so can result in a citation.
. Avoid carbon monoxide poisoning and possibly death: Clear tailpipe of snow when the car's engine is running while idling or parked.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 6.0 earthquake strikes California wine country - 0
- Heavy rain saturates NH in a matter of two hours - 1
- Flash flood warning issued for Southern New Hampshire - 0
- Rare tornado touches down in Revere, Mass., no deaths reported - 0
- Severe weather strikes across Granite State - 0
- Restaurant foundation destabilized by high water raises Route 3 Bridge, downtown Colebrook flooding concerns - 0
- Winchester roads ravaged by heavy rain - 0
- Despite heavy rains, tornado warning, Nashua OK - 0
- Wild weather strikes Granite State - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition at Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 in Rochester - 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 0
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 3
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too