Home » News » Public Safety
Wood stoves, fireplaces blamed for several house fires in New Hampshire
A series of fires related to the use of wood stoves or fireplaces were reported in the state.
Chief Brett Brooks said the family was awakened by the fire in the house at 37 Hazen Drive at about 6 a.m. Sunday. Robert Champagne and four children got out of the structure without injury, Brooks said.
The fire apparently began below and around a wood stove used for heat, according to the fire chief.
In Walpole, embers from a fire in the fireplace of a home on Wentworth Way apparently ignited a late morning basement fire.
Fire officials said the fire at 300 Wentworth broke out shortly after 11 a.m.
In Chester, a two-alarm fire caused damage to a breezeway connecting a home at 145 North Pond Rd. on Sunday afternoon.
Two people who drove past the house reported seeing smoke coming from the building and firefighters found the fire in the area of a wood stove when they arrived.
Deputy Fire Chief Michael Willinsky said the fire seemed to have started near the wood stove and chimney, despite the homeowner following proper procedures for use of a wood stove.
The house will need cleaning before the residents can move back in; while the fire was confined to a relatively small area, there was smoke and water damage to a wider area.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- For Nashua student walkers, commute may soon be safer - 0
- Several pets succumb to fire at Farmington home Thursday - 0
- Portsmouth buildings evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 1
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
- Dover police convince local man to go to hospital for evaluation - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- A second chance: Manchester hasn't won Hooksett yet - 0
- Calling Deep Throat: Where is Obama's Mark Felt? - 0
- Monarchs know there's always room for improvement - 0
- Student artwork on display in Derry for PTA's Reflections - 0
- Town, school budgets approved in Amherst - 0
- Wilton-Lyndeborough elementary school merger plan passes - 0
- Hollis voters approve all warrant articles - 0
- Div. I Girls' Basketball: Bedford advances to final with ease - 0
- Boys' Hockey: Souhegan, John Stark-Hopkinton advance in Div. III - 0
Town, school budgets approved in Amherst
Two officers pinpointed in Weare shooting
Hollis voters approve all warrant articles
Win tickets to see Billy Idol
Rochester firm is ready to add jobs
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to announce exploratory committee for U.S. Senate run
No dice: House kills casino gambling bill