Home » News » Public Safety
Wood stoves, fireplaces blamed for several house fires in New Hampshire
A series of fires related to the use of wood stoves or fireplaces were reported in the state.
Chief Brett Brooks said the family was awakened by the fire in the house at 37 Hazen Drive at about 6 a.m. Sunday. Robert Champagne and four children got out of the structure without injury, Brooks said.
The fire apparently began below and around a wood stove used for heat, according to the fire chief.
In Walpole, embers from a fire in the fireplace of a home on Wentworth Way apparently ignited a late morning basement fire.
Fire officials said the fire at 300 Wentworth broke out shortly after 11 a.m.
In Chester, a two-alarm fire caused damage to a breezeway connecting a home at 145 North Pond Rd. on Sunday afternoon.
Two people who drove past the house reported seeing smoke coming from the building and firefighters found the fire in the area of a wood stove when they arrived.
Deputy Fire Chief Michael Willinsky said the fire seemed to have started near the wood stove and chimney, despite the homeowner following proper procedures for use of a wood stove.
The house will need cleaning before the residents can move back in; while the fire was confined to a relatively small area, there was smoke and water damage to a wider area.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester police honor their own for dedicated service - 0
- Damage from water main break closes portion of Allds Street in Nashua - 0
- Former UNH police chief remembered as 'amazing leader' - 0
- Pinkerton warns community of person soliciting students - 0
- Oil tanker strikes Memorial Bridge early Friday - 1
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Water main break in downtown Nashua - 0
- Manchester fire heavily damages one apartment - 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Merrimack survives scare - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 6
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 1
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief