Nashua Board of Education signals new leadership
The votes were non-binding and will be taken again on Jan. 6 after newly elected members Farrington and Dotty Oden are officially seated. No one could remember exactly why the board began the tradition of casting an early straw vote, but it does give members time to prepare and hit the ground running in January.
Board members voted, 5-4, for Farrington over Robert Hallowell, the current board president. Farrington previously served on the board from 1990 to 1997 and was president for five of those years.
In addition to tracking motions and votes, the clerk fills and leads meetings when the president is unavailable."Change is healthy," said Muise who seemed happy to accept the job.
"Dennis Ryder has only been on the board for one term but it seems a lot longer," joked Hallowell, who presented Ryder with a plaque from the school district thanking him for his service.
"He says what he means and he means what he says, and I have found him to be a great resource," said Hallowell.
"I don't know if everyone appreciates the time spent," said Hallowell.
"(Tom Vaughan) was extremely helpful to this board, and he will be sorely missed for the level of effort he put in."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: The story of Manchester's Women's Aid and Relief Society - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: Manchester's Clarke family helped bring aid to the destitute - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: Mayor William Clarke and his hunting dogs - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: Manchester revels in Semi-Centennial Celebration of 1896 - 0
- William and Arthur Clarke carry on at Manchester's Daily Mirror - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: John B. Clarke's legacy lived on in print - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: John B. Clarke leads the good life - 0
- Looking Back with Aurore Eaton: John B. Clarke's grit built a publishing empire - 0
- Looking Back with Auore Eaton: The Manchester 'forty-niners' seek their fortunes in California - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 0
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 1
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
- Ian Clark's High School Hockey: Teams anxious to play - 0
- Manchester Mayor Gatsas: Vote tells me Hooksett is satisfied with Manchester schools - 4
- After Pinkerton rejection, what's next for Hooksett students? - 1
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal