Home » News » Public Safety
Fire destroys Keene house, no one injured, but pets missing
"Basically the house was destroyed. The entire attic area of the house was destroyed by fire," Fire Chief Mark Howard said Monday afternoon.
The fire department received numerous calls around 10:28 a.m. reporting smoke and fire coming out of the attic of a one-story ranch at 2 Ryder St.
Firefighters found heavy fire involving an addition of the ranch through the roof and extensive smoke coming out of the attic space of the house, Howard said.
"The entire attic area of the entire structure was engulfed within about 10 minutes," Howard said.
Howard said an elderly man, his daughter and her family resided in the house. Three dogs were rescued from the fire, one that ran from the house when firefighters first opened the door to fight the fire, one was found in the basement and another was found on the first floor. Two cats, several snakes and a hamster are missing.
Keene fire investigators are working to pinpoint the cause and origin of the fire, however, at this time it appears it was a wood stove fire, Howard said. "It's not felt to be suspicious. We believe it's going to be related to a heating, wood stove application."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
- Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’ - 0
- Milford police officers want to meet you for coffee - 1
- Nashua parents: Clean up the sidewalks for students' safety - 0
- Manchester police car in collision at Union and Hayward streets - 0
- Northwood fire prompts firefighters to urge residents to clean chimneys - 0
- Rochester pedestrian, 18, struck, suffers minor injuries - 0
- Haverhill man receives call every homeowner dreads - 0
- Three firefighters recovering after injuries in fast-moving Claremont house fire - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 0
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 1
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 0
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 0
John Stossel: Budget baloney
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief