Mark Hayward's City Matters: Tiny Tim's delivery makes the show
"Gone With the Wind" would mean nothing if Rhett Butler did not finally tell Scarlet that he doesn't give a damn. Ratso Rizzo sets the mood of 1960s New York with his hood-pounding "I'm walkin' here," in "Midnight Cowboy".
All three auditioned for the role. Once selected, they had to learn their lines (not that hard since there are only four lines), work on their singing voice (they sing with an ensemble) and master walking with a limp leg and crutch. ("Walk like the crutch is glued to your foot, bend your back and lean on the crutch," advised Windham 8-year-old Jake Joyce, the Tiny Tim for the first week's run.)
We know the story of "A Christmas Carol" as well as we know the lyrics of "Jingle Bells." The sickly Tiny Tim's all-important line comes during the season of hope and celebration. The emotional strength of the line — "God Bless us everyone" — is in the physical weakness of the character.
Their British accent is apparent in "God," pronounced more like a clipped version of the word good. "Bless us" rings with the certainty of a child's faith. A pause follows. "Everyone" bubbles with boyish enthusiasm and pitch.
Sean Vincent, an 8-year-old student at Newmarket Elementary, said he watched several versions of "A Christmas Carol" to get the British accent down. He credits Blanchette with showing him how to use the crutch.
Mark Hayward's City Matters runs Thursdays in the Union Leader and on UnionLeader.com. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former NH state trooper gets new state job after 2010 conviction - 18
- Public hearing is set in Portsmouth on plan to beddown 12 KC-46A aircraft - 0
- U.N. denies reports representative in Ukraine seized in Crimea - 0
- Frigid weather has maple producers expecting a 'couple of weeks' delay - 0
- NH Motor Speedway founder selling lakeside estate for NH-record $49 million - 7
- Crotched Mountain honors its farming roots with tree farm honor - 0
- 'Our lost duck friends' remembered - 23
- UPDATE: America selects Preston for top 13 in "American Idol" - 0
- UPDATE: Mont Vernon man chosen as ‘American Idol’ top 20 contestant - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 0
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 0
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 0
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth, PSU hit road for tourneys - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
John Stossel: Budget baloney
Several union deals on Windham ballots
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax
Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council