Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford
BEDFORD — A contractor at the former Sheraton-Wayfarer Conference Center broke an eight-inch private fire service water line Thursday, resulting in rusty water coming out of the taps for residents on the Manchester's West Side, according to a Manchester Water Works official.
The water main, which was a private fire service line, broke about 10:45 a.m. Guy Chabot, deputy director-distribution for Manchester Water Works, said the broken main caused a large leak and flooded the private property.
When it broke, he said, it backed up water inside the cast-iron pipe, stirring up particles built up on the interior which ultimately resulted in rusty and dirty-looking water coming out of faucets of residents in the Varney Street area of Manchester. Chabot said residents may still drink the water even though it looks rusty.
Chabot said to clear the lines, residents should turn on the cold water in the bathtub and let it run for 15 minutes. If the water isn't cleared by then, he said to call water works at 624-6494.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 1
- Thomas Sowell: Freedom is not free; you've got to fight for it - 0
- Michael C. Whitney: A small gas tax hike would be good for business - 5
- Jonah Goldberg: In the case of My Brother's Keeper, race does, and should, matter - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The NH Senate's Medicaid trap - 0
- Rep. William Butynski: A casino gambling plan that works for NH - 3
- George Will: Misreading Putin, and history - 4
- Rep. Kenneth Fredette: NH should avoid Maine’s Medicaid mistake - 5
- David Harsanyi: Social conservatives would benefit by embracing libertarianism - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 2
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 7
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 4
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again