Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford
BEDFORD — A contractor at the former Sheraton-Wayfarer Conference Center broke an eight-inch private fire service water line Thursday, resulting in rusty water coming out of the taps for residents on the Manchester's West Side, according to a Manchester Water Works official.
The water main, which was a private fire service line, broke about 10:45 a.m. Guy Chabot, deputy director-distribution for Manchester Water Works, said the broken main caused a large leak and flooded the private property.
When it broke, he said, it backed up water inside the cast-iron pipe, stirring up particles built up on the interior which ultimately resulted in rusty and dirty-looking water coming out of faucets of residents in the Varney Street area of Manchester. Chabot said residents may still drink the water even though it looks rusty.
Chabot said to clear the lines, residents should turn on the cold water in the bathtub and let it run for 15 minutes. If the water isn't cleared by then, he said to call water works at 624-6494.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Smiles say it all about Santa Fund - 0
- Dec. 29 Santa Fund donor list - 0
- Today's list of Santa Fund contributors - 0
- 'Sometimes, people hit hard times' - 0
- Santa Fund Toy Shop helps 1,185 families - 0
- Unexpected role has its challenges - 0
- Union Leader Santa Fund: Today's list of contributors - 0
- Bonneville continues support of Santa Fund - 0
- 'We do what we can to keep them happy' - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Livingston scores twice as Monarchs top Providence - 0
- NHIAA Basketball: Bedford girls top Trinity to advance - 0
- Ham radio introduction and class - 0
- NHIAA Hockey: Bedford rolls past Lebanon, into D-II semis - 0
- NHIAA Hockey: Sprague nets hat trick to lead Central past Trinity - 0
- Mass. ER staffers to describe day of Boston Marathon bombings - 0
- College Roundup: UNH men ousted from hoop tourney - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Basketball: Campbell tops Fall Mountain for second D-III championship - 0
- At FIRST, it's all about learning and helping each other - 0
Ted Siefer's City Hall: It was all about chickens, alleged threats and nocturnal wanderings
Planned Parenthood funds S&M Web video
NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact
Blue shame: Obamacare's big change
Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin?