Groton Wind turbines slated to start turning again shortly
Rumors have spread around town since the power-generating windmills stopped turning at the end of last week. Some thought the state had shut the operation down, as state officials are considering whether Groton Wind should have its operating certificate suspended or revoked.
"We are doing some work on some power line poles at the Groton Wind Farm," Cherian said. "That work requires the project to be de-energized."
There have been complaints and concerns raised against Groton Wind from residents, the state fire marshal, and the neighboring town of Rumney. The state's Site Evaluation Committee, the permitting authority for such projects, will schedule hearings in late January on the complaints.
Cherian and other Iberdrola officials have said they are in compliance with state codes and conditions for the plant, and say they are responding and have responded to the complaints and concerns raised.
The stoppage of operations was done "in accordance with standard industry safety practices," Cherian said.
"The Federal Aviation Administration, ISO-New England, and Public Service Company of New Hampshire were all informed, as is standard operating procedure."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vermont rallies to top Swamp Bats - 0
- Red Sox' summer swoon continues as Jays finish sweep - 0
- Lawrence, Fisher Cats too much for Binghamton - 0
- Former Manchester teacher jailed for assaulting student, 6, with soap, pepper - 0
- Merrimack zoning officials deny AT&T cell tower request - 0
- Derry woman faces charges after nearly hitting Salem police officers - 0
- Upsets mark quarterfinal play in Red Ryan CYO golf - 0
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: City man accused of menacing woman, assaulting teen - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Derry woman arrested after police pursuit
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse
Punch line: The NFL blows it
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting