Home » News » Public Safety
Charlestown family hospitalized after fire
Firefighters were called to Morways Mobile Home Park off Lover's Lane around 1:50 a.m., Charlestown Fire Chief Charlie Baraly said Friday.
Police on the scene reported the trailer was fully involved, so Baraly upgraded the fire from one-alarm to two-alarm, he said.
The residents, owners Wayne and Peggy Simoneaw and their 20-year-old daughter and 25-year-old son, had been sleeping when the fire started, but were out of the home when firefighters arrived, Baraly said.
Two family pets, a dog and a hamster, also escaped the fire.
All four residents were hospitalized for treatment of smoke inhalation.
Friday afternoon, Baraly said Wayne Simoneaw was still in the hospital for treatment.
Firefighters are investigating the cause of the fire, but it does not appear to be suspicious, Baraly said.
The mobile home was completely destroyed and mobile homes on either side of it sustained minor siding damage.
Firefighters from Langdon, North Walpole, Walpole and Springfield, Vermont, responded to the scene with man-power and equipment.
Claremont firefighters covered the Charlestown fire station during the response.
Because the mobile home was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived they had to act quickly, he said. Firefighters quickly knocked down the blaze in about 45 minutes, but were on scene till about 6:30 a.m. making sure all hot spots were out.
“The firefighters on the scene did a fabulous job,” Baraly said.
The Red Cross has been notified to provide shelter for the family.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 4
- One-alarm fire kept to chimney area of Bridgewater home - 0
- Nashua woman hurt in Pelham crash - 0
- Man hurt in fall from tree stand in Swanzey - 0
- Officials: Manchester's crime rate showing sizable decline - 0
- Spaulding Turnpike speed limit headed up from 55 to 65 - 0
- Chemical spill at Nashua North sends 6 to hospital - 0
- Enfield home destroyed by 3-alarm blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- Derry Council revises tax cut goal - 0
- Police remove dogs, cats and pig from Derry home after report of strong odor - 0
- Former New London police chief settles with female accuser - 0
- Alleged parental kidnapper arraigned, ordered held on $250,000 cash bail - 0
- Reports: Celtics near completion of Rondo deal - 0
- Grid coach Cote, BG go their separate ways - 0
- Former owners of 'casualty' of Northern Pass file appeal - 0
- Holiday sales may recover with help of deep discounts - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Tom Chapin
BANANAS and NH's energy needs
Win tickets to see Linkin Park
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Arrest of dad at Gilford School Board meeting about Picoult book 'chilling' says judge, case dismissed