Home » News » Public Safety
Charlestown family hospitalized after fire
Firefighters were called to Morways Mobile Home Park off Lover's Lane around 1:50 a.m., Charlestown Fire Chief Charlie Baraly said Friday.
Police on the scene reported the trailer was fully involved, so Baraly upgraded the fire from one-alarm to two-alarm, he said.
The residents, owners Wayne and Peggy Simoneaw and their 20-year-old daughter and 25-year-old son, had been sleeping when the fire started, but were out of the home when firefighters arrived, Baraly said.
Two family pets, a dog and a hamster, also escaped the fire.
All four residents were hospitalized for treatment of smoke inhalation.
Friday afternoon, Baraly said Wayne Simoneaw was still in the hospital for treatment.
Firefighters are investigating the cause of the fire, but it does not appear to be suspicious, Baraly said.
The mobile home was completely destroyed and mobile homes on either side of it sustained minor siding damage.
Firefighters from Langdon, North Walpole, Walpole and Springfield, Vermont, responded to the scene with man-power and equipment.
Claremont firefighters covered the Charlestown fire station during the response.
Because the mobile home was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived they had to act quickly, he said. Firefighters quickly knocked down the blaze in about 45 minutes, but were on scene till about 6:30 a.m. making sure all hot spots were out.
“The firefighters on the scene did a fabulous job,” Baraly said.
The Red Cross has been notified to provide shelter for the family.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Motorcyclist suffers minor injuries in Saturday crash in Laconia - 0
- 18-year-old located with mother, brother on Mount Monadnock - 0
- Two killed in North Hampton plane crash - 0
- New fire training facility proposed in Nashua - 0
- 2 die in North Hampton plane crash - 0
- NH police on lookout for drunken drivers - 5
- Marine Patrol called to multiple crashes - 0
- Hiker rescued on Mount Monadnock - 0
- Laconia accident results in minor injuries for motorcyclist - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Know the Law: Know your rights when dealing with debt collectors - 0
- Ask SCORE: Getting help with routine chores allows owners to focus on critical issues - 0
- Another View - Richard Ober: We have to act now to stop the decline in NH's future prospects - 0
- Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate - 0
- Firefly dress could set the world on fire - 0
- As school year starts, talk of new testing begins in Manchester - 0
- Wildcats focus on positives following opening loss - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Preview: Exeter, Pinkerton girls thinking big - 0
- Frank Jones' foray into ale-making in Portsmouth is a success - 0
Two killed in North Hampton plane crash
DWI License Revocations
Sherborne takes Manchester city golf crown