Home » News » Public Safety
Police warn of holiday pitfalls
"The holidays can be a difficult time for a lot of people," said Lt. Denis Linehan of the Nashua Police Department.
Local police have dealt with domestic violence incidents on Christmas Day in years past, and Linehan said a lot of the problems begin with alcohol.
"Saving lives on New Hampshire roadways is a top priority, and we need everyone's help to do it," said Col. Robert Quinn of the New Hampshire State Police. "Making the choice to drive a vehicle after you've been drinking is not worth the risk of killing yourself or someone else."
State police, along with the New Hampshire Driving Toward Zero Coalition, are hoping to reduce the number of serious injuries and fatalities on local roadways this holiday season and year round.
And then there's always the winter weather.
"We are now experiencing winter driving conditions across New Hampshire, and that can limit visibility and require slower speeds," Chris Clement, New Hampshire Department of Transportation Commissioner, said in a statement. "It is extremely important to be alert and aware when driving in winter conditions. Drivers should plan ahead, give themselves extra time to reach their destination safely and allow additional room between their vehicles and others."
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 0
- Mechanical failure ruled out in fatal plane crash that claimed lives of two Kingston men - 0
- UPDATED: Cause of three-alarm Derry blaze under investigation - 1
- Woman shot during Manchester drug raid ID'd - 0
- Weare police chief on leave amid domestic violence probe - 2
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- Heating unit cause of blaze in Manchester - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 2
- USNH's raw deal: Part deux - 0
- Every vote counts: Here is the proof - 0
- College Sports Roundup: NEC's Locke scores twice in soccer win - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Campbell, Jutras blank Gilford - 0
- Pirates stay hot, blank Red Sox - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua - 1
- NHIAA Golf: Crusaders teeing up special year - 0
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof