John Stossel: The disappointing year in liberty
• Obamacare. It was supposed to "bend the cost curve" downward. The central planners had lots of time to perfect their scheme. For a generation, the brightest left-wing wonks focused on health care policy. The result? Soviet-style consumer service comes to America.
Nothing to cut? Government spends $3.8 trillion a year!
Many Republicans are almost as eager to spend as Democrats, despite the difference in rhetoric between the two parties. About the only spending reduction Republicans accomplished in the past few years was the so-called sequester — which really happened by legal default because the two parties couldn't reach an agreement. The sequester instituted cuts of about $85 billion a year, a mere sliver of that $3.8 trillion budget and a still smaller sliver of our $17 trillion debt.
To make it a better year, we can't trust such a powerful government to restrain itself. We should cut back its duties to reduce its power.
John Stossel is host of "Stossel" on the Fox Business Network, and the author of "No They Can't! Why Government Fails, but Individuals Succeed."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Roger Simon:If Hillary represents an Obama third term, she is doomed - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Parvo scare could be detrimental to puppy training, despite slim risk - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 28
- John Stossel: The other green monster - 1
- Another View - Charles Lane: Obama's wedge issue is the seductive lure of golf - 3
- Jonah Goldberg: If the Islamic State is not evil, then what is? - 4
- George Will: Will we build the Navy we need? - 2
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Franklin Pierce's Kirsh to retire as AD - 0
- UNH Wildcat gridders can't stop Toledo, 54-20 - 0
- UNH Wildcats volleyball looking forward to good season - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats' cuts hold few surprises - 0
- New-look Boston Red Sox taking test run - 0
- NH Fisher Cats bats silenced in Conn., in 3-1 loss - 0
- Boston Red Sox limited to one hit in loss to Tampa Bay, 7-0 - 0
- Donald Trump to headline 1st Amendment event in NH - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Drivers education to science, meeting all about the kids - 0
Mount Washington Auto Road to host largest gathering of alternative-energy based vehicles in North America