Home » News » Public Safety
Accident spurred teen to fire service in Candia
Isaiah Soucy, middle, credits Candia firefighter Bill Cormier, left, and Chief Dean Young, right, with encouraging his determination to become a firefighter. (BENJAMIN KLEIN/Union Leader Correspondent)
Soucy was the first responder on the scene in August when volunteer Candia firefighter Ryan Marion and his wife Celeste were seriously injured after the motorcycle they were on crashed when they were cut off by an oncoming motorist.
"For three minutes I was on my own, and when I responded I didn't know it was Ryan, that it was a friend of mine," he said. "I was actually coming back from an EMT class, and I got the go-ahead from Chief Young to render aid to the two of them until more help arrived."
"It's just remarkable that we would save him 13 years ago, and than he ends up saving one of us," Young said.
Marion and his wife suffered severe injuries, but they survived the wreck and are trying to recuperate.
"So long as he passes the qualifications, it doesn't matter ...," Cormier said.
He said it gave him the drive to become a firefighter. When he was 14, Soucy began working with local firefighters through the Boy Scouts' Explorer program.
"Just because he can't do something like everyone else doesn't mean he can't do it, he just has to adapt, which he has done a great job of ...," Cormier said.
Young said it is important for the community that someone young like Soucy wants to serve the department.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Power restored to downtown Manchester - 0
- Driver identified in fatal Northumberland crash - 0
- Warning issued to teens taking the ‘Polar Plunge’ challenge - 1
- Rochester, Dover police to collect expired prescription drugs - 0
- Search for missing swimmer halted in Bristol, to continue Tuesday - 0
- UPDATED: State Police bomb squad called to Manchester West High for plastic bottles of solvent - 0
- Swanzey man pulled from fire in serious condition - 0
- Man dies in Northumberland crash - 0
- Power restored to Hooksett and Candia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Deadline extended for startup competition in Rochester - 0
- Citizens Bank offers good citizen scholarships - 0
- NH jobless rate dips to 4.5 percent - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Fraudulent stats behind 'equal pay' claims - 0
- Hollis police say stun gun needed on ‘unruly’ man - 0
- Authorities detonate suspicious package left near Boston Marathon finish line on one-year anniversary of bombing - 0
- Flooding shuts down North Country highways - 0
- Officials say Northfield man presumed drowned after 'Polar Plunge' - 0
- Legislative committees move 4.2-cent-per-gallon gas tax increase closer to reality - 6
Flooding shuts down North Country highways
Authorities detonate suspicious package left near Boston Marathon finish line on one-year anniversary of bombing
Rep. Shea-Porter honored for efforts to aid in health care by National Association of Community Health Centers