Home » News » Public Safety
Accident spurred teen to fire service in Candia
Soucy was the first responder on the scene in August when volunteer Candia firefighter Ryan Marion and his wife Celeste were seriously injured after the motorcycle they were on crashed when they were cut off by an oncoming motorist.
"For three minutes I was on my own, and when I responded I didn't know it was Ryan, that it was a friend of mine," he said. "I was actually coming back from an EMT class, and I got the go-ahead from Chief Young to render aid to the two of them until more help arrived."
"It's just remarkable that we would save him 13 years ago, and than he ends up saving one of us," Young said.
Marion and his wife suffered severe injuries, but they survived the wreck and are trying to recuperate.
"So long as he passes the qualifications, it doesn't matter ...," Cormier said.
He said it gave him the drive to become a firefighter. When he was 14, Soucy began working with local firefighters through the Boy Scouts' Explorer program.
"Just because he can't do something like everyone else doesn't mean he can't do it, he just has to adapt, which he has done a great job of ...," Cormier said.
Young said it is important for the community that someone young like Soucy wants to serve the department.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Excess school money may target crowded classes in Manchester - 0
- Nashua board members apologize for signingCommon Core letter - 0
- Sen. Shaheen participates in all-night climate change ‘talkathon’ - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' Derek Forbort in the right place at the right time - 0
- Educators, advocates speak to new standards for use of force - 0
- Two Manchester health clinics working on merger plan - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
- VFW still eyeing old Crown Hill fire station in Nashua for new home - 0
Allenstown rejects town and school budgets
Crowley elected in Northfield
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'
Hooksett vetos Pinkerton schools deal