Home » News » Public Safety
Accident spurred teen to fire service in Candia
Isaiah Soucy, middle, credits Candia firefighter Bill Cormier, left, and Chief Dean Young, right, with encouraging his determination to become a firefighter. (BENJAMIN KLEIN/Union Leader Correspondent)
Soucy was the first responder on the scene in August when volunteer Candia firefighter Ryan Marion and his wife Celeste were seriously injured after the motorcycle they were on crashed when they were cut off by an oncoming motorist.
"For three minutes I was on my own, and when I responded I didn't know it was Ryan, that it was a friend of mine," he said. "I was actually coming back from an EMT class, and I got the go-ahead from Chief Young to render aid to the two of them until more help arrived."
"It's just remarkable that we would save him 13 years ago, and than he ends up saving one of us," Young said.
Marion and his wife suffered severe injuries, but they survived the wreck and are trying to recuperate.
"So long as he passes the qualifications, it doesn't matter ...," Cormier said.
He said it gave him the drive to become a firefighter. When he was 14, Soucy began working with local firefighters through the Boy Scouts' Explorer program.
"Just because he can't do something like everyone else doesn't mean he can't do it, he just has to adapt, which he has done a great job of ...," Cormier said.
Young said it is important for the community that someone young like Soucy wants to serve the department.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help