Home » News » Public Safety
Rescuers follow beacon to stranded Canadian hikers in Lancaster
Sgt. Mark Ober of the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department said one of the hikers activated the emergency beacon in King Ravine in Low and Burbank’s Grant around 6:45 p.m. Sunday.
Three Fish and Game conservation officers and three volunteers from Androscoggin Valley Search and Rescue set off in the dark after the alert signal was relayed from International Emergency Response Coordination Center in Houston. The search team hiked three miles in a steady rain before locating the hikers at 11:57 p.m.
Ober said Rishi Maharaj of Toronto and Norman Goh of Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada, in a bivy shelter trying to stay warm. Ober said the hikers were cold and wet, but otherwise unharmed. They ate some warm food and put on dry clothes supplied by the rescue team before the hikers and rescuers hiked together back to the Appalachia parking lot, where they arrived around 3:30 a.m.
Ober said the wind and rain limited visibility and the hikers took a wrong turn and wound up in a treacherous boulder field.
READER COMMENTS: 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
- Barrington home destroyed in two-alarm blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Legal Perspective -- Health care decision making: Pending legislation fills gap - 0
- GoShopNH offers workshop to NH artisans on selling their products online - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Be a student of your profession - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Lacrosse: Bedford proving Division I-worthy - 0
- NHIAA Baseball: Londonderry's Corey escapes seventh-inning jam in win - 0
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter - 0
- Top-ranked B's seek to tie up series - 0
- Bottoms up for Red Sox in win over Orioles - 0
- Struggling Fisher Cats defeated again - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
Citizens Bank robbed Saturday in Manchester