Home » News » Public Safety
Rescuers follow beacon to stranded Canadian hikers in Lancaster
Sgt. Mark Ober of the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department said one of the hikers activated the emergency beacon in King Ravine in Low and Burbank’s Grant around 6:45 p.m. Sunday.
Three Fish and Game conservation officers and three volunteers from Androscoggin Valley Search and Rescue set off in the dark after the alert signal was relayed from International Emergency Response Coordination Center in Houston. The search team hiked three miles in a steady rain before locating the hikers at 11:57 p.m.
Ober said Rishi Maharaj of Toronto and Norman Goh of Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada, in a bivy shelter trying to stay warm. Ober said the hikers were cold and wet, but otherwise unharmed. They ate some warm food and put on dry clothes supplied by the rescue team before the hikers and rescuers hiked together back to the Appalachia parking lot, where they arrived around 3:30 a.m.
Ober said the wind and rain limited visibility and the hikers took a wrong turn and wound up in a treacherous boulder field.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season - 0
- Driver seriously injured in Londonderry wreck - 0
- Dover snowmobiler dies in Barnstead crash - 0
- Most property owners clear hydrants of snow - 0
- Manchester man dies after being hit by car - 0
- Family, pet cats and snake escape Nottingham fire - 0
- Two officers pinpointed in Weare shooting - 0
- School bus slides off road, slams into trees in Deerfield - 0
- For Nashua student walkers, commute may soon be safer - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- College Hockey: Northeastern wins in OT, forces Game 3 with UNH - 0
- NHGOP: Rand Paul wins straw poll - 0
- Pembroke voters OK clock tower face-lift - 0
- Bath Iron Works gets nod for fifth destroyer - 0
- Groveton backs 'Plan B' for town office project - 0
- Dartmouth under fire for response to incidents of rape on campus - 0
- Obama's national security aides meet to discuss Ukraine - 0
- Radio host wants official's lawsuit dismissed - 0
- NH's representatives in Congress join opposition to painkiller Zohydro - 0
Dick Pinney's Guidelines: Online license purchases prove user unfriendly for some hunters and anglers
Auburn native believes in faith and fashion
NHGOP: Rand Paul wins straw poll
Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season
Bath Iron Works gets nod for fifth destroyer
Charles Krauthammer: How to handle Putin
GOP panel stresses teamwork, sincerity