Roger Simon: Some in GOP want fewer debates, dumber reporters
The Republican Party is now considering changes in its rules to squeeze the last remaining pleasure out of politics.
This is not being done in the name of reform. This is being done in the name of "let's stop kicking ourselves in the groin."
Accusing a politician of being fundamentally dishonest is like accusing a ballerina of dancing on her toes. No big deal. But accusing a Republican of being for abortion, against guns and for taxes is serious stuff. Naturally, Romney had to prove that he was none of those things.
The debates were full of bad moments, especially for Perry, who was considered by the media to be an extremely formidable candidate until Perry got on stage and opened his mouth.
According to CNN, one Republican source says there is a "heavy appetite" not just to severely reduce the number of debates, but also to control which journalists get to ask questions.
Announcer: Coming to you live from the basement of Republican National Headquarters, an officially sanctioned debate moderated by Fox News Channel's Megyn Kelly!
Ted Cruz: I don't know if he's white, but he sure is fat. Just like Chris Christie.
Chris Christie: How about I come over there and bust your kneecaps?
Rick Perry: There are actually three Santas. They are sometimes called the Three Wise Men. They are Donder, Blitzen and um, um... (53-second brain freeze).
Rick Perry: James Richard . um . um . (53-second brain freeze).
Megyn Kelly: You can't remember your last name?
Megyn Kelly: That's your nickname. What is your last name, Gov. Perry?
Rick Perry: Governor?
Megyn Kelly: And that's all the time we have! Join us in six months for our final debate: "Democrats: Threat or Menace?"
So good luck with that.
Roger Simon is chief political columnist for Politico.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- New principal appointed at North Elementary School - 0
- New principal appointed in Londonderry - 0
- Students kicked off part of Litchfield playground after engandered birds lay eggs. - 8
- Keene State celebrates Earth Day with trash audit - 2
- Undefeated season for Pinkerton math team - 0
- Plaistow looks at driver education options - 0
- 3 finalists named for NHTI president - 0
- Dartmouth president calls for end of high-risk behavior - 3
- Hallsville School's Tower Clock will be restarted Friday - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fire destroys Weare home - 0
- High winds cause power outages, fan fires across state - 0
- Downed wires spark brush fire that spreads to Manchester house - 0
- Fugitive nabbed as he checks out the weather - 0
- Bail set for TD Bank robbery suspect in Derry - 1
- Fetal homicide bill stopped in the Senate - 0
- Democrats worry about 'dirty tricks' - 0
- Truck pulls down power line, starts paint store blaze - 0
- No change in bail for Dover teen facing felony arson charge - 1
Michigan’s ban: Sotomayor’s ‘disadvantages’
No charges in Nashua 'Duck-gate'
Rep. Kuster talks women's economic issues
George Will: Our adolescent President