Roger Simon: Some in GOP want fewer debates, dumber reporters
The Republican Party is now considering changes in its rules to squeeze the last remaining pleasure out of politics.
This is not being done in the name of reform. This is being done in the name of "let's stop kicking ourselves in the groin."
Accusing a politician of being fundamentally dishonest is like accusing a ballerina of dancing on her toes. No big deal. But accusing a Republican of being for abortion, against guns and for taxes is serious stuff. Naturally, Romney had to prove that he was none of those things.
The debates were full of bad moments, especially for Perry, who was considered by the media to be an extremely formidable candidate until Perry got on stage and opened his mouth.
According to CNN, one Republican source says there is a "heavy appetite" not just to severely reduce the number of debates, but also to control which journalists get to ask questions.
Announcer: Coming to you live from the basement of Republican National Headquarters, an officially sanctioned debate moderated by Fox News Channel's Megyn Kelly!
Ted Cruz: I don't know if he's white, but he sure is fat. Just like Chris Christie.
Chris Christie: How about I come over there and bust your kneecaps?
Rick Perry: There are actually three Santas. They are sometimes called the Three Wise Men. They are Donder, Blitzen and um, um... (53-second brain freeze).
Rick Perry: James Richard . um . um . (53-second brain freeze).
Megyn Kelly: You can't remember your last name?
Megyn Kelly: That's your nickname. What is your last name, Gov. Perry?
Rick Perry: Governor?
Megyn Kelly: And that's all the time we have! Join us in six months for our final debate: "Democrats: Threat or Menace?"
So good luck with that.
Roger Simon is chief political columnist for Politico.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Thomas Sowell: A primer on race and do-gooders - 0
- Ramesh Ponnuru: There is no basis for liberal Hobby Lobby outrage - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: NH energy projects should produce wins for everyone - 15
- Another View - Kevin Baine: No, the Hobby Lobby ruling won't deny anyone contraception - 6
- Jonah Goldberg: Liberals dislike America - 2
- Another View -- David Ignatius: Iran overplays its hand - 0
- John Stossel: There's capitalism, and then there's crony capitalism - 1
- David Harsanyi: Not surprising more Americans believe freedom is overrated - 1
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Water-loving dogs should be watched so they don't overdo it - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph - 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 5
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 5
- Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot - 1
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax