Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
'Well-respected' Amherst man, 71, hit and killed while getting mail
Amherst police urge anyone with information about the vehicle type or the driver to contact them at 673-4900.
The collision occurred about 1 p.m. on Merrimack Road just east of the intersection with Corduroy Road and about 1 1/2 miles northwest of Souhegan Regional High School at 412 Boston Post Road.
"No matter how it happened, somebody left and they left a world of turmoil behind them," Lt. Anthony Ciampoli said.
Police would not release the name of the victim until all his relatives are notified.
"You will see this was a very good person. He was very well-known and well-respected individual who will get our utmost attention to solve the matter," Ciampoli said.
The victim went to Southern New Hampshire Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.
"We're hoping that somebody who saw something will come forward," Ciampoli said.
Police said they are looking for a vehicle that has fresh damage — most likely to the right front corner. It appears the headlight was damaged in the collision.
The victim went to check his mailbox at the end of his driveway, Ciampoli said.
Since the victim was struck by his mailbox — which is located on the same side of the street as his house — police are working under the assumption that the vehicle was traveling toward Route 122.
The residential area is thickly settled and a popular commuter route. Given this, police said their search extends beyond area towns to all of southern New Hampshire.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Police look for Laconia sub shop robber - 0
- Claremont man indicted on two charges of arson - 0
- Police hunt pair they believe attacked couple at Rochester motel - 0
- Phone evidence likely allowed in Hampstead home invasion trial - 0
- Grand jury indicts one of three men accused in murder of Madbury teen - 0
- Piano teacher wants statement tossed before sex assault trial - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The fiscal mismanagement in Washington is a choice - 25
- 'Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus' - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483