Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Feb 6, 2014
'Well-respected' Amherst man, 71, hit and killed while getting mail
Amherst police urge anyone with information about the vehicle type or the driver to contact them at 673-4900.
The collision occurred about 1 p.m. on Merrimack Road just east of the intersection with Corduroy Road and about 1 1/2 miles northwest of Souhegan Regional High School at 412 Boston Post Road.
"No matter how it happened, somebody left and they left a world of turmoil behind them," Lt. Anthony Ciampoli said.
Police would not release the name of the victim until all his relatives are notified.
"You will see this was a very good person. He was very well-known and well-respected individual who will get our utmost attention to solve the matter," Ciampoli said.
The victim went to Southern New Hampshire Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.
"We're hoping that somebody who saw something will come forward," Ciampoli said.
Police said they are looking for a vehicle that has fresh damage — most likely to the right front corner. It appears the headlight was damaged in the collision.
The victim went to check his mailbox at the end of his driveway, Ciampoli said.
Since the victim was struck by his mailbox — which is located on the same side of the street as his house — police are working under the assumption that the vehicle was traveling toward Route 122.
The residential area is thickly settled and a popular commuter route. Given this, police said their search extends beyond area towns to all of southern New Hampshire.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Hudson police standoff ends; person in custody - 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Manchester-based scam roofer going to prison for making promises, taking money - 0
- UPDATED: Manchester police recover $11,000 in drugs while investigating domestic assault - 1
- Somersworth mother charged over statements in abuse case against Rochester boyfriend - 1
- UPDATE: Rochester man says he held girl, 3, in headlock for wetting the bed - 1
- Nine arrested in Ossipee drug sweep - 0
- Litchfield woman charged in theft at local grocery store - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Poll activity slow but steady in Londonderry - 0
- Manchester police recover $2,000 worth of painkillers in drug arrest - 0
- 600 votes cast in Hudson by midday - 0
- Londonderry polls average 100 voters per hour - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
- Musher Seavey wins Alaska's Iditarod dogsled race; woman with NH ties finishes second - 0
- Revised lice policy gets cool reception from some at Manchester school meeting - 1
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus