Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Feb 6, 2014
Woman falls victim to Facebook profile 'cloning' scam
During the scam, the victim said she had two chat sessions going. One was with a supposed Facebook lottery agent who wanted a $600 electronic cash transfer before shipping $70,000 in prize money. The other was with her cloned Facebook friend, who assured her the prize was legitimate.
"If my brother called and told me I won something, I'd say, 'You're scamming me,'" said David Rienzo, a lawyer who works for the N.H. Attorney General's consumer and anti-trust division.
"The (Canadian) Mounties are great," he said. "If it's coming from Uzbekistan, we're out of luck."
• Don't accept friend requests from people you don't know; the person may end up cloning your page.
• Don't accept friend requests from people who are already your friends; they are likely sent by a clone.
• Report an imposter to Facebook.
• Beware of improper English or unusual spellings in chat conversations or emails.
According to the chat that the Raymond woman provided to the New Hampshire Union Leader, the agent took information such as her name and address. The agent asked the woman to keep the notification of the prize money secret, citing security reasons.
It's then that the woman realized she had been conned.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Hudson police standoff ends; person in custody - 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Manchester-based scam roofer going to prison for making promises, taking money - 0
- UPDATED: Manchester police recover $11,000 in drugs while investigating domestic assault - 1
- Somersworth mother charged over statements in abuse case against Rochester boyfriend - 1
- UPDATE: Rochester man says he held girl, 3, in headlock for wetting the bed - 1
- Nine arrested in Ossipee drug sweep - 0
- Litchfield woman charged in theft at local grocery store - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 600 votes cast in Hudson by midday - 0
- Londonderry polls average 100 voters per hour - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
- Musher Seavey wins Alaska's Iditarod dogsled race; woman with NH ties finishes second - 0
- Revised lice policy gets cool reception from some at Manchester school meeting - 1
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- Manchester’s Slebodnick stars in Cornell’s title win - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'
Manchester schools project budget surplus