Home » Opinion » Editorials
Teens and drugs: Craving parental guidance
Keene High School has one of the highest substance abuse rates in New Hampshire. In a semester-long study, some Keene State health science majors set out to learn more about drug abuse at the school. They found, as other studies have, that parental behavior is an important factor in teen drug use. But they also found that teens want parents to guide them toward responsible decisions.
The report noted that "students stated that some parents were not being good role models. They felt parents were too lenient and needed to have 'stronger' conversations with their children about the consequences of doing drugs. Several students said they knew of parents who were abusing drugs and that it was okay, therefore, for their children to abuse drugs too."
Contrary to popular belief, kids don't really want their parents to be "cool" and tolerant of self-destructive behavior. They crave guidance and firm parenting. They understand intuitively that parents who actively guide them to the right choices are parents who care about them.
Parents, show your kids you care. It can make all the difference.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 20
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 9
- Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again - 2
- Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council - 1
- Insurance exchange: NH Dems, GOP switch sides - 2
- Bottle store blues: The useless grocery mandate - 2
- Finding city revenue: Seek more private partners - 0
- Putin's freedom: Obama's weakness - 42
- Safe seats, frequent flyers - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact - 0
- Planned Parenthood funds S&M Web video - 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Gatsas incesed by unauthorized use of his phone number for 'robocalls' - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Vote on death penalty repeal set for Wednesday - 0
- Legislative ethics: NH way works better than most - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Newest Monarchs making impact - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Aging catchers cause for concern - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: It was all about chickens, alleged threats and nocturnal wanderings - 0
- Comcast-Time Warner Cable deal would create formidable giant - 0
Two-alarm blaze at vacant building in Nashua
Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin?
Charles Krauthammer: The wages of weakness
NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact
George Will: The face of IRS behavior