Sep 18, 2014
Sep 4, 2014
Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Charges upheld against mother who visited breast implant website while son drowned
Jessica Botelho's 1-year-old son drowned after she allegedly left them unattended in the bathtub for more than 40 minutes on July 13, 2010.
Botelho, 26, was sentenced to 5-10 years in prison, following her convictions in Hillsborough County Superior Court on manslaughter and reckless conduct charges in March 2012.
She appealed the convictions the state's highest court, arguing primarily that the name of the website she visited should not have been admitted into evidence.
That website was "myfreeimplants.com," where people can solicit donations to support the plastic surgery procedure.
The Supreme Court, in its opinion issued Tuesday, noted that Botelho admitted visiting the site, and that the state's evidence outweighed any prejudicial effect disclosing the name of the website might have had on the jury.
"Given the strength of the State's alternative evidence, the relatively inconsequential nature of the disputed evidence, and the manner in which the State used the disputed evidence, we are persuaded, beyond a reasonable doubt, that evidence relating to myfreeimplants.com did not affect the verdict," the court noted in its opinion.
Botelho was released from prison pending the appeal.
Following the ruling Tuesday, the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office arrested Botelho in Nashua without incident, and she was transported to the New Hampshire State Prison for Women in Goffstown.
READER COMMENTS: 10
- Dalton man sentenced for assaulting inmate - 0
- Hampstead man accused of sex assaults on girl - 0
- Police say man kills daughter, 6 grandchildren in Fla. murder-suicide - 1
- 2 men arrested in Manchester SWAT raid, drug bust - 4
- 2 women sentenced in Home Depot scam - 0
- Man accused of stabbing man in Concord's White Park - 0
- Friends, co-workers mourn loss of Amherst mother and son - 4
- Vermont father, two sons facing charges for Canobie Lake Park scuffle - 2
- Son used AK-47 to kill mother, then himself in Amherst home - 37
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 0
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 6
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Londonderry Rotary to host forum next week - 0
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917