Timberlane School Board backs full-day kindergarten
Money for the program is currently included in the proposed budget for next year, although the fees charged for full-day kindergarten will cover the costs for the program, according to Superintendent Earl Metzler.
The proposal for full-day kindergarten calls for one class of 20 students for each of the district's four elementary schools. There would still be a number of half-day kindergarten classes at each school, according to Pollard School principal Michelle Gaydos.
Gaydos said the amount will be similar to what many parents already pay for childcare while their children are in half-day classes.
Some surrounding communities, such as Newtown and Kingston, offer full-day kindergarten at no cost to parents. Salem offers full-day kindergarten for $3,200 per year, and Bedford offers the program for $5,000 per year.
There would also be one full-time Spanish teacher to cover classes in each of the four elementary schools.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- David Harsanyi: The senators who really threaten America - 1
- Your Turn, NH -- Ted Menswar Jr.: How Manchester pulled together to honor one of its greats - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Is the Islamic State really un-Islamic? - 1
- George Will: Scotland's epic vote - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: Obama's uncertain trumpet, again - 0
- Maureen McDonald: Ray Rice and the everyday problem of domestic violence - 1
- Another View -- Jason Bedrick: An important court victory for parents and taxpayers - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Mob rule economics is bad for everyone - 8
- George Will: Eviscerating the 1st Amendment is extremism - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 3
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Brady a realist - 0
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
DWI license revocations
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua