Timberlane School Board backs full-day kindergarten
Money for the program is currently included in the proposed budget for next year, although the fees charged for full-day kindergarten will cover the costs for the program, according to Superintendent Earl Metzler.
The proposal for full-day kindergarten calls for one class of 20 students for each of the district's four elementary schools. There would still be a number of half-day kindergarten classes at each school, according to Pollard School principal Michelle Gaydos.
Gaydos said the amount will be similar to what many parents already pay for childcare while their children are in half-day classes.
Some surrounding communities, such as Newtown and Kingston, offer full-day kindergarten at no cost to parents. Salem offers full-day kindergarten for $3,200 per year, and Bedford offers the program for $5,000 per year.
There would also be one full-time Spanish teacher to cover classes in each of the four elementary schools.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Pinkerton: 'No surprises' on first day with additional Hooksett students - 1
- Manchester Youth Leadership Academy will start Sept. 23 - 0
- New school year kicks off in style in Wilton/Lyndeborough - 0
- PSU recognizes 3 professors for their scholarship, service - 0
- Unity Elementary School off to late start - 0
- La. Gov. Jindal files federal lawsuit over Common Core - 0
- Central High parents reminded to use caution when dropping kids off - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 4
- Construction to begin on Hollis playground - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone