Danbury is polling voters on Wild Meadows wind project
The town vote will be taken into account by the state's Site Evaluation Committee, which in the process of permitting the proposed 75.9-megawatt, 23-turbine project on private land in Danbury and Alexandria.
"Whatever the people decide will be the position of the town of Danbury," said Board of Selectmen Chairman Jim Phelps.
The proposed project calls for building 15 wind towers in Danbury and eight in Alexandria. Company officials say it will produce enough clean energy to power approximately 30,000 average homes each year and 90,000 homes at peak production, with the energy going to the regional power grid.
Residents in neighboring towns voted by substantial margins against the Iberdrola proposal and new wind farm projects in their towns last March. Danbury, which has heard the overtures of Iberdrola and a citizens' group opposing the proposal, New Hampshire Wind Watch, is taking its own poll now.
The town has sent a cover letter and a ballot to every registered voter in Danbury. Voters are asked to indicate their support of or opposition to the project and to return ballots by Jan. 2. The ballots will be counted at the Jan. 8 selectmen's meeting.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: I'm with Washington Post on school choice - 0
- Thomas Sowell : Where liberalism creates $1.5 million starter homes - 0
- Another View -- Gilles Bissonnette: Why we sued to overturn NH's education tax credit - 5
- David Harsanyi: No, the right doesn’t want you to get sick and die - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama’s lame sock hop with Putin - 2
- Your Turn, NH -- Suraj K. Budathoki: I am at last happy, for I am at last an American - 1
- Deroy Murdock: How red tape slows one life-saving drug's path to market - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 2
- Charles Krauthammer: The zealots win again - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ellsbury propels Yanks over Sox - 0
- Bruins shut out Wings - 0
- Phaneuf leads Derryfield laxers past Pelham - 0
- High School Volleyball results - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Teen recruited juvenile for burglaries - 0
- Cell phones, speakers stolen in separate incidents - 0
- House committee opposes bill to keep mental health records out of federal gun checks - 0
- Police say three lured contractor to robbery through Craigslist - 0
- Derry library's proposed 2015 budget moves forward - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
High School Volleyball results
Bruins shut out Wings
Shaheen touts land conservation fund
Prepare to pay more to park in Manchester
Secret arrests? Not if we can help it
Latest Groton wind farm fight: Snow plowing