Home » News » Public Safety
Mont Vernon man to be arraigned in Amherst man's hit-and-run death
"No matter how it happened, somebody left and they left a world of turmoil behind them," Lt. Anthony Ciampoli said.
The collision occurred shortly before 1 p.m. on Merrimack Road just east of the intersection with Corduroy Road. The location is about 1 1/2 miles northwest of Souhegan Regional High School at 412 Boston Post Road in an area popular among commuters seeking shortcuts.
Police said they are withholding the victim's name until they notify all his relatives.
"He was a very well-known and well-respected individual who will get our utmost attention to solve the matter," Ciampoli said.
Police said they are looking for a vehicle that has fresh damage — most likely to the right front corner. It appears the headlight was damaged in the collision.
"First, we would love to be able to come up with the vehicle type," Ciampoli said.
So far, no witnesses have come forward.
"It would be very unlikely that the person who struck this party, that they did not know they did it," Ciampoli said.
He said police found nothing to indicate the driver's vision could have been obscured.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester fire heavily damages one apartment - 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
- Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’ - 0
- Milford police officers want to meet you for coffee - 1
- Nashua parents: Clean up the sidewalks for students' safety - 0
- Manchester police car in collision at Union and Hayward streets - 0
- Northwood fire prompts firefighters to urge residents to clean chimneys - 0
- Rochester pedestrian, 18, struck, suffers minor injuries - 0
- Haverhill man receives call every homeowner dreads - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 2
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 7
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 4
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief