Home » News » Public Safety
Injured Mass. woman rescued after fall on Mount Monadnock
According to a press release from the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department, Julie Nocka, 51, of Harvard, Mass., was hiking the mountain with her family, and was headed down a steep icy section of the Marlborough Trail when she sustained a severe lower leg injury.
The Fish and Game Department received a call from New Hampshire State Police Troop C in Keene at 3 p.m. about the injured woman, the press release said.
Rescuers and the victim's family carried the woman more than a mile over steep snow covered icy terrain, reaching the trailhead at 7:15 p.m., according to Fish and Game. Nocka was taken by ambulance to the Cheshire Medical Center in Keene for treatment.
Rescue workers included conservation officers from Fish and Game, Mt. Monadnock State Park personnel, members of Rescue Inc. of Brattleboro, Vt.
Fish and game said hikers should be aware that earlier mild temperatures and rain coupled with recent snowfall have made trail conditions treacherous and ask that hikers plan accordingly.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Family, pet cats and snake escape Nottingham fire - 0
- Two officers pinpointed in Weare shooting - 0
- School bus slides off road, slams into trees in Deerfield - 0
- For Nashua student walkers, commute may soon be safer - 1
- Several pets succumb to fire at Farmington home Thursday - 0
- Portsmouth buildings evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 1
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Playoff-contending Suns deal Celtics their 10th loss in 13 games - 0
- College Hockey: One goal is enough for UNH in opener - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops series opener - 0
- Div. III Boys' Hoop semis: Campbell upsets top seed - 0
- Div. II Boys' Hoop semis: Pembroke rolls into final - 0
- Driver charged with biting state trooper on I-93 - 0
- Wit flies at Wild Irish Breakfast in Nashua - 0
- Autopsy shows Rochester man shot by officers 3 times - 0
- NFL Roundup: Pats sign cornerback Browner - 0
14 people arrested in Nashua drug sweep
Manchester actress Kaleigh Cronin visits Jersey before heading to Big Apple's Great White Way with role in 'Cabaret'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown announces exploratory committee for US Senate run
NH Supreme Court: Protecting police from liability more important than rights of man wrongly accused of rape
Manchester police pursuit ends in arrest