Home » News » Public Safety
Injured Mass. woman rescued after fall on Mount Monadnock
According to a press release from the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department, Julie Nocka, 51, of Harvard, Mass., was hiking the mountain with her family, and was headed down a steep icy section of the Marlborough Trail when she sustained a severe lower leg injury.
The Fish and Game Department received a call from New Hampshire State Police Troop C in Keene at 3 p.m. about the injured woman, the press release said.
Rescuers and the victim's family carried the woman more than a mile over steep snow covered icy terrain, reaching the trailhead at 7:15 p.m., according to Fish and Game. Nocka was taken by ambulance to the Cheshire Medical Center in Keene for treatment.
Rescue workers included conservation officers from Fish and Game, Mt. Monadnock State Park personnel, members of Rescue Inc. of Brattleboro, Vt.
Fish and game said hikers should be aware that earlier mild temperatures and rain coupled with recent snowfall have made trail conditions treacherous and ask that hikers plan accordingly.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 5
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Tuition tax credits make a return