Home » News » Public Safety
Fellow hikers, search teams rescue injured Conn. man
A press release from the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department said that Peter Hapgood, 45, of Glastonbury, Conn., had summited the mountain and was heading down the Greenleaf Trail when he slipped and fell at around 11 a.m. Hapgood sustained injuries to his lower leg and called 911 for help.
The release said passing hikers stopped to treat his injuries and helped him get to the Appalachian Mountain Club's Greenleaf Hut, which is 2.7 miles from the trailhead.
Rescue teams took over from there, carrying Hapgood down an icy trail and to a Franconia Life Squad ambulance at 8:45 p.m. He was taken to Littleton Regional Hospital for treatment.
Crews from Pemi Valley Search and Rescue Team, Mountain Rescue Service, US Forest Service and Fish and Game conservation officers participated in the rescue.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare